Feb 17, 2013

Falling Skies Gets More Retarded / Stupid with Every Episode

(new update at the bottom  -- I made it!)

So I'm a little over half way through the first season of Falling Skies, and I find myself seriously doubting if I'll make it to season 2 without deleting everything and swearing off the show for life.

I LOVE shows that focus on realism -- how we'd behave in any given situation -- ... and post-apocalyptic scenarios.

So I was very excited when I started watching Falling Skies.

Then I started getting deterred when people started screaming at their dog / kid / etc. when they we're SUPPOSED to be sneaking up on the enemy.   NO ONE is that stupid.  Even the dumbest person on earth, who is madly in love with their kid, wouldn't yell out "HEY SON OVER HERE" when sneaking up on the enemy in an attempt to rescue their kid.  There is no IQ point low enough to account for that kind of stupidity.

Anyways, I'm on Season 1, episode 7 at the moment, and the main characters just overtook the corrupt characters that were trading kids for security from the aliens.

First, let me say that plot point is semi-retarded... they reason it out with, "Hey we were being hunted down like dogs and the only break we got was when they took a kid and stopped chasing us, so we figured it was worth it to trade kids for safety if that's all they wanted."  (paraphrasing.)  Yeah, that's how normal people think -- "Hey all they want is the kids that's worth trading them in for."

NO.  In reality, if you trade in a little kids life to save your own, you want to kill yourself.  OR YOU AT LEAST FEEL BAD ABOUT IT.  WHY DON'T THEY APPEAR TO FEEL EVEN REMOTELY BAD ABOUT IT!!!!??  As if they are doing a noble but looked-down-upon deed.  WTF.

Okay, okay, ANYWAYS... getting back to the point... (I'm starting to think this show is even more retarded than I realized when I started writing this post)... there was a scene that was particularly bad that I came here to write about.

I'm talking about the scene where the antagonist walks into an ambush after capturing the kids and surrenders... which is only logical, ANYONE would surrender when they had a dozen guns pointed at their head... but then 5 seconds later decides to pull out a concealed gun.

Think about this for a second before I explain what is even dumber about this scene.

After he pulls out his gun... what do you think he did?

If I hadn't seen the episode, I'd say, "He probably started firing and jumped for cover!"

Alas... this isn't so.  What he did do, is pull out his gun and as he did so, start negotiating as if he was bringing a gun to a knife fight and the opponent had no choice but yield.

He was shot dead by the 5th second.

I could not have wrote a more retarded scene if I tried.  And this is probably the 5th retarded thing that had happened in 7 episodes of a show that's seemingly real, hardcore, and post-apocalyptic.

I seriously doubt I'll make it to season 2... but somehow, I'm going to keep giving it a chance.  Things like this make me wish I still smoked weed and I could mindlessly enjoy shows without having to think so much all the time.

--------
UPDATE:

So I made it to season 3 somehow and the show gets WAY better, and the dumb stuff seems to come up less and less as the writers begin to learn the complexities of doing their job. Very happy with where it ended in season 3, big turn around in my book, excited about season 4

No comments: